Project Fair Play
Because religion and partisan politics shouldn't mix.
AU Executive Director Barry W. Lynn on the dangers of pulpit politicking.
The Law at a Glance
Houses of worship may:
- Discuss public policy issues.
- Sponsor non-partisan voter registration and encourage voting as good civic behavior.
- Sponsor candidate forums as long as all leading candidates are invited and a broad range of issues is discussed.
- Urge congregants to communicate with candidates and make their concerns known to them.
Houses of worship may not:
- Issue statements endorsing or opposing candidates.
- Donate money to a candidate.
- Offer church space to one candidate and refuse it to another.
- Sponsor rallies for candidates in church.